- The American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (AUIS) is a private, non-profit university and accepts all qualified students regardless of economic, ethnic, or religious background
- AUIS opened in 2007 to offer a student-centered, American-style education that encourages the critical-thinking skills necessary for shaping the region’s future leaders
- AUIS opened its Academic Building on its new 169-hectare (418-acre) campus in Sulaimani, Iraq in October 2011; the Administration Building opened in 2012
- Students must meet the admissions standards set forth by the Kurdistan Regional Government’s Ministry of Higher Education and the Republic of Iraq’s Ministry of Higher Education, as a minimum
- Students must take an English placement test upon admission to AUIS. Students who need English training before joining the academic program are placed in the Academic Preparatory Program (APP).
- Students who meet a certain score in speaking, reading, and writing enter the academic program.Since opening doors to its initial class of 50 students in 2007, the student body has grown to nearly 600 undergraduates.
- Approximately 85 percent of students receive some level of financial support based on merit and need
- All classes at AUIS are taught in English and all professors are international or have international degrees.
- AUIS offers a comprehensive education and all students must complete core courses in the humanities and sciences before beginning coursework in their chosen major
- AUIS values personalized learning and student-faculty relationships; to that end AUIS’ student-faculty ratio is 12:1. The average class size is 16.
- AUIS recently added a mechanical engineering degree and is collaborating with University of Colorado Boulder to develop its curriculum
- The AUIS Academic Preparatory Program (APP) is designed to help students build a solid foundation in English and mathematics before matriculating into the Academic Program and includes an intensive four-level English language program
- BS Business Administration
- BS Engineering Science
- BS Information Technology
- BA International Studies
- BS Mechanical Engineering
- BA English Journalism
Resources for Students
- Career Services Center
- Student Services Center
- Writing Center
- Math Center
Executive MBA Program
An Executive MBA in International Management is offered in conjunction with Hochschule Furtwangen University in Germany and results in a dual Executive MBA degree from both universities
- The AUIS Professional Development Institute (PDI) supports human resource capacity development by offering education programs, training, and consulting services to businesses, government, and individuals
- PDI currently offers English language courses for individuals seeking educational opportunities at English-speaking universities.
- PDI offers project management courses in both English and Arabic to provide business professionals with specialized training necessary to plan and implement projects that meet priority needs of local communities.
- AUIS has men’s and women’s basketball, soccer, and ping pong teams
- AUIS has a biweekly independent student newspaper, the AUIS Voice
- AUIS has student clubs and activities, including a drama club, debate society, and student chapters of the Society of Professional Journalists and Association for Computing Machinery
- AUIS students participate in international competitions and conferences, such as: National Model United Nations Conference, Hult Global Case Challenge, ACP Journalism Conference, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Fulbright Scholar Program
Contact: Kyle Long, AUIS Director of Communications